29905560

Sir /madam I have question regarding the employment law.

Customer Question

Sir /madam
I have question regarding the employment law. Currently I am working for the financial corporation (from July 2012) - I am contacting at the moment (I am paying my own taxes- I am nt on the firm payroll or the agency through I was hired). I got pregnant in July this year- do I have still obligation by law to inform my line manager about my situation 15 weeks before baby is due? What benefits I am in title to (as I am paying on my own National Contribution?

And how I can back out my situation as in December situation in my department should change and contractors should be offer a permanent contracts. if I will nt get one is only because they management could spotted that I am pregnant. can you advise how I can secure my situation please. I am looking forward for your replay
Kind regards Monika

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Are you on a fixed term contract?

JACUSTOMER-lwps0pn0- :

I was hired on temp to perm contract, My contract has been extended every 3 months or so, is due to expire on 27 th December this year

Ben Jones :

Hi sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. The obligation to inform your employer of your pregnancy by the 25th week before the baby is due only applies if you are an employee as it affects your right to maternity leave and pay, which you do not get if you are a contractor.

The benefits you could be entitled to would be Maternity Allowance:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/specialist-guides/technical-guidance/ni17a-a-guide-to-maternity/maternity-allowance-ma/

As to changing to permanent employment, the employer cannot refuse to employ you just because you are pregnant as that would amount to discrimination and it is illegal. If there is no obvious reason apart from your pregnancy that they have rejected to employ you, then you can make a claim for discrimination against them.

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much