How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34019
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I am currently beginning divorce proceedings against

Customer Question


I am currently beginning divorce proceedings against my wife. She has recently decided that she no longer wants to be married and wants to end the relationship. So I am hoping to see solicitor to begin the process...

We have been married for 11 years, and have a 9 year old daughter.

Currently I live in my parents house and we share the responsibility of looking after our daughter equally. 4 Nights down my parents, 3 nights with her.

She currently lives in our family home. This is however soley in my name, I pay the mortgage, all bills, insurances, council taxes, utilities etc.

I would like to move back into my house with my daughter ASAP and i have asked my wife to find her own place. She flat out refuses to move out and says she has no where else to go.

I would like to know what I have to do? Where do i stand... Should she move out until divorce proceedings force a sale?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,


I had the house valued last week, it was valued at £125,000-£120,000.


I have £77,000 remaining on the mortgage over 32 years.


  • Payments £354.56 per month on a fixed rate until Sept 2014.


  • I have no debt, no cards, loans etc.


  • We have furniture/contents in the house probably valued at around £5000. We also have 3 painting worth around £5000 in total (but these are an investment for my daughter).

  • We have a car that is up for sale to buy two seperate cars but have no finance outstanding on this....

My income is 25,500 per year. My wife's income is 25,000 per year but she is expecting a promotion to £30,000 at the end of this month.

All household bills leave my account and amount to £637 per month including the mortgage.

My wife has a student loan to the amount of £17,000.

Hope this helps


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid that your wife has an absolute right to remain in the matrimonial home so long as you are married and unless she is violent you cannot force her to leave until the financial side of the divorce has been sorted.
However there is no reason for you to pay any bills if you are not living there - and she should also be paying at least half of the mortgage
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice