75100385

Hi, I have a rather complicated situation that seems could

Customer Question

Hi, I have a rather complicated situation that seems could be a 'grey area' in law. My daughter is missing & presumed to have gone to another country but she left a letter explaining the reasons why she had do so so urgently, that she will not be returning to UK and with permission in it to let me remove her belongings. There has been no contact from her & I am unable to contact her. I have had minimal contact from the letting agency but have asked them a few times over the last month to pass this information onto the landlord. I do not know if this has been done. All I was told is that the landlord consulted his solicitor who said to refuse me entry and to 'wait a month before doing anything' but do not know if anything was put into writing. I was advised by police and the local authority to ask the date this 'month wait' started from but have still heard nothing. I was also advised to inform housing benefit she is no longer there but that the deposit should cover the month my daughter has not been there-only up to the 13th November 2013. This was not taken well by the letting agency. I am trying, in this very distressing situation, to manage my daughters affairs as much as I am legally able to but seem to be getting nowhere with this issue. I wanted to get her belongings as this is my last connection to her but also so the flat can be rented out as soon as possible-I am considering the financial loss to the landlord while it is still in there as well as trying to prevent her belongings from being sold if the landlord decides to go to court (this would not cover any additional rent owed or court costs). I really don't know what else to do-I have been polite and tried to work with both parties but to no avail. Any advise would be helpful right now.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Has this month elapsed? Do you have details of the Landlord Solicitor plese?