75100385

I have a hedge 20-30 feet high at the boundary of my property

Customer Question

I have a hedge 20-30 feet high at the boundary of my property with another, which is currently a playing field complex. It is known that the playing fields will be sold for development. If someone subsequently builds a house near my hedge, such that it is in the shadow of my hedge, can I then be forced to reduce the height of the hedge?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here as you will get an email when I respond.
Alex Watts : How long has it been that high please?
JACUSTOMER-41ozkkpl- :

I have owned the house for 7 years and the hedge was at least 20ft high when I bought it. I suppose it will have grown a few more feet since then. I am also contemplating planting another hedge in a place where the development would be particularly visible, in the hope that it will grow high enough before any development takes place so as to screen the site from view. As yet, we believe that the development is some way off as no planning application has yet been made.

Alex Watts :

If someone moves to where the hedge is and it was like that when they came, they would be hard pressed to take any action.

Alex Watts :

This is because they are aware of it before they move in.

Alex Watts :

If it would have been the case you had planted after, that would be different./

Alex Watts :

But based on the fact you would have already had it there, they know about it then you do not need to worry.

Alex Watts :

You can not stop someone taking legal action but based on the fact it was pre-existing I do not think the claim would be successful.

Alex Watts :