12826847

i owe £415 64 in council tax and baliffs fees,if i make a monthly

Customer Question

i owe £415 64 in council tax and baliffs fees,if i make a monthly offer to pay of the debt can they refuse to accept it

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What monthly offer are you making?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im offering £25 per month

Its fairly bad news I'm afraid. Council tax debt is Crown's debt and the Crown is not an understanding creditor.

They cannot refuse the funds in the sense that they will accept your money. There will be no problem with that.

What they probably will do though is continue to take enforcement action. I suspect your question is will £25 a month be enough to stay the action against you and it will not I'm afraid unless, of course, the bailiffs just have other people to chase. With bailiff action your position is all relative to their other clients. Bailiffs are perfectly entitled to enforce the entire debt against everybody. They prioritise some clients over others and the worse payers get the attention.

Realistically, to be entirely save for further action you would probably need to be offering £100 a month. That would mean its paid off in 4-5 months and the bailiffs will have other clients to chase in that time.

I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.