13262538

Hi, I am married to a pakistani Woman since 2006. I never wanted

Customer Question

Hi, I am married to a pakistani Woman since 2006. I never wanted to marry her and did it to just keep the peace at home with teh parents! Silly as it was things never got off the ground between us and we never had a relationship. her temporary visa expired many years ago and had it not been for pressure from her sibblings who live in the uk, I would have ended the relationship before the visa had expired as I knew straight away that we were like chalk & cheese! Furthermore I have been trying to gain advice from CAB etc on whether she can claim anything from me as we were married in Pakistan and our marriage is not recognised here but her family constantly threten me to try and gain monies from me. I dont want her here and never have, but recently she left my parents home and went to live with her brother. does this now mean she is there responsibilty or do i need to report it and also how do i protect my belonging from her grip becasue since day one all she has repeatedly wanted from me is money or an indefinite stay status!

Clare :

Hi Thank you for your question.

Clare :

My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Clare :

Which country does your wife live in?

Clare :

What assets do you have?

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

she lives in in the UK as far as I know, the last I heard from her/her family was that she was returning with her father and that things are finally over...but before I can truly assume they are I need to ensure that she has indeed left teh country and I can move on with my life.

Clare :

When did you last hear from her?

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

My personal Assets amount to an apartment valued at 100k and a car valued at 10k but nothing major and I certainly dont have any large savings..probably 2k.

Clare :

When did you last live in the same property?

Clare :

What makes you think the Uk does not recognise the marriage

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

we never have lived together really...she came to the uk I refused to settle with her and that was when the penny dropped with the parents!

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

they have been looking after her and paying for everything since then until finally my dad decided to see things from my perspective and come around to the fact that life is about making your own decisions..

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

I have always worked away since leaving school...I was in the RAF until 2005 and since then even though the marriage occured in 2006 I have lived on my own in my apartment some 150 miles away from my parents

Clare :

But what makes you think that the marriage is not recognised?

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

I dont really know if it does or not..the only thing i know is her brothers were very pushy for me to get her an indefinite visa or right to saty and for that they told my parents that I would need to go and register the marriage at the registrar...so had me wondering what they were playing at?

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

just checked online...after you asked actually and the answer was simple...yes it is recognised here! which really does make things worse for me!

JACUSTOMER-jzw106zb- :

but surely if they recognise the marriage then they must recognise that we are not together and under the same law I only have to tell her we are divorced to make it official...or some such crazy thing I heard my parents say once!?

Clare :

Yes I was just working on giving you the bad news.

Clare :

If you want a divorce - as you clearly do - then you will have to issue the Petition here based on th efact that you lived apart for more than five years.

Clare :

You cannot divorce in Pakistan as neither of you live there.

Clare :

She does have a financial claim on you I am afraid - although it is limited to an extent by the fact that you have never lived together

Clare :

You have not said how much the mortgage outstanding on the property

Clare :

which is relevant to the possible settlement

Clare :

BUT please do not panic

Clare :

her claim on you is not large - although the fact that she has been funded by your parents for so long doe snot assist you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but as her visa has expired..the minute UKBA find out...surely she will get sent back and I can divorce her there?

if her stay has expired..how can she even lodge a case against me when she is herself breaking teh immigration rules and ;laws?

I sponsored her first 2 year temp visa, after that we were meant toi apply for permanent stay..which I refused to do.

UKBA have a very bad record for deportation - so do not rely in that
Equally I am afraid that her immigration status does not effect her right to claim against you - indeed it is the opposite since if she not eligible for state help it means she has a stronger claim against you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i am stuck either way, she and her family insist that if I carry on with the sham marriage and get her indefinite stay approved they will leave me alone...but I thought that would make her position even stronger over me!

so what would you do in my shoes?

Personally if the marriage is over (indeed it never started) and you have lived apart for the last five years I would suggest you get on with a divorce and accept the financial consequences if need be.
They are not likely to be too onerous and will at least mean that you are free to move on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what if i went down the forced marriage road..none of this was my idea and my intentions were to just get my family from off my back. for instance we were married after meeting for 20 minutes and I was very young at the time and seemed to be upsetting the whole world if I didnt say yes there and then.

had you acted immediately it would have worked - but 7 years later it will not I am afraid