12826847

Good DayMy family and I have been resident in my Fathers

Customer Question

Good Day
My family and I have been resident in my Fathers house since he vacated it 20 + years ago, and whilst we have not and do not pay rent, we have had to maintain the property, at great personal expense, as it is a farm house of some age. . My question is do we have a right to stay in the property on my Fathers death. I have 2 sisters and my belief is the estate has been divided 3 ways. There is nothing in writing, my wife and I were told that the house was for our use and what was ever inside we could either keep or throw away. Sorry if this is a bit vague but I think you get the jist. I have 2 children both over 18. Do they have continuation rights.
Many Thanks
Andrew Pike
Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

- when did you start living there?

- was there any written agreement / tenancy / licence at all?

.