29905560

when a member of staff is a victim of crime, what does the

Customer Question

when a member of staff is a victim of crime, what does the company supposed to do for the victim?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Could you explain your situation in more detail please?

Ben Jones :

Hello, not sure if you have seen my initial query above asking for further information about your situation?

JACUSTOMER-oaaaaqkg- :

I have been the victim of a crime in the company I work. 2 men came to steal and I arrested them. The 2 men pushed me on my neck and I was injured in the finger but I do not know with what they injured my finger. I went to hospital and the hospital also told me to go to see a doctor. Because of that incident, I had to stop working for 10 days. The affair is in court a the moment and will be host on 09/ 12/2012 after being already postponed twice. The company Pret a Manger I work for does not want to hear anything about the affair and they clearly told me that I will not get a compensation.

Ben Jones :

From a legal point of view, the employer will only have to offer compensation if they were at fault in any way or their negligence caused you the injury. In this case, I cannot see how they can be blamed for this as this was an unpredicted incident, where you decided yourself to apprehend the offenders. You were not forced to do this by the employer.

So any compensation would usually only be payable on moral grounds and be discretionary - in other words if the employer felt morally obliged to offer you some compensation for what you did, they can do so, but the law does not force them to pay you anything unfortunately. So if they do not want to compensate you, they cannot be forced to do so, not unless you can show they were at fault in this case and from what you have said, unfortunately I cannot see how they can be blamed for what happened.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does unfortunately mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.