12826847

Because his now estranged wife could not get the credit, my

Customer Question

Because his now estranged wife could not get the credit, my son took out a car loan with Money Barn to purchase a car from the Car Shop Northampton.
He now acknowledges this was a very foolish move, especially after their acrimonious split.
She is recorded as the keeper of the car and DVLA will not intervene. Tax and MOT are now due and she says she is dealing with that, but it is difficult to trust her. The insurance is in his name with her as named driver. She has both sets of keys and V5C and will not give them up and DVLA will not reissue either, they had all the details but just refunded the fee!
He wants to relinquish the car, but Money Barn say he must be 'in control ' of the car. The car is really theirs until the last payment is made but she refuses to accept this.
Then she said she would pay him the money to pay the finance, but that only lasted a week like most of her payment history!! Can he just tell Money Barn to negotiate with her directly to collect the car? We looked at small claim, but £750 plus is lot for someone with debts and a low income. Any advice please.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. How much money is he actually being chased for? Is £750 the whole debt? Kind regards AJ

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - there is £750 outstanding on the finance, is that correct?

What is the current position with regard to the Financial side of the Divorce Proceedings?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do they each have?
Are there any children involved
I ask because dealing with this as part of the divorce might be more effective