Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE

We have made a claim on our Insurance, with Direct Line Home

Customer Question

We have made a claim on our Insurance, with Direct Line Home Insurance, to cover repairs which occurred early September, a leak from our bathroom coming through our kitchen ceiling causing damage to the ceiling and also the wood laminate floor. A letter date 11.09.13 requested we send an estimate for repairs with photographs and details of work to be carried out. This was sent 20.09.13 The ceiling repair at a cost of £560.00, has been agreed. The estimate, To remove Kitchen Laminate flooring and underlay. Replace flooring & underlay like for like with a total Of £770.00 for Labour & Materials. We are now informed, after the Insurance Assessor's visit, that they will only pay £330.00 for this repair. The reason given That this repair should have been carried out using their contractor and the amount with held is the discount that they would have received. My question. How were we to know that repairs should be carried using their contractor as this was not stated in the original correspondence? Also how can the discount be worth over 50% of the original estimate? Barbara XXXXXXXX

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Was there any requirement in the policy that said you had to use their contractor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have since contacted Direct Line who tells me that it is in the policy that we should have used their contractor for the floor,

It appears there are different departments within the Insurers which deal with different types of work. I think this should have been pointed out that the work would involve different department for the floor.

I still cannot understand how they con justify the amount with held,

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

If it is in the policy wording then they do have an argument with hold the discount they would have received.

However insurance companies are required to treat you fairly and if they do not you could have complaint against them and their regulator.

What I suggest is that you send them a letter on the following terms:
1. Demand full payment of the additional sum they have not paid;
2. Tell them they have not treated you fairly or acted in good faith for the following reasons:
(i) You have not been provided with any evidence to prove that they would have received a discount;
(ii) At no point were you advised of a contractor that you should use or even provided with a list.
3. Say that because of this you expect them to honor their obligations to cover the cost of the works and damage.
I would suggest you attach any correspondence where you mentioned the contractor you were using and where they didnt object.

If they still do not pay I would recommend that your best course of action is to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.‎

This will be a slow process but they have the power to force the insurer to pay if they rule in your favour.