12826847

Good evening, I have recently been providing a service via

Customer Question

Good evening,

I have recently been providing a service via eBay, were I would collect European vehicle's workshop manual and parts cataloger from online sources, and providing the buyers with a full set of information on how to install and activate those software, I started doing this as I noticed that some other eBay sellers have been doing this stating that there are European laws which forces the car manufactures to provide this information to their customers for free, which a checked and seems to exist

However this morning I had the police and trading standard knocking at my door at 07:00am, I eventually let them in after I came back to my senses, as I was still deep a sleep, and they have stated that I was involved in piracy, I would have never gotten involved in such thing, in fact I have a clean criminal record and never had any issues with the police in the past, not even when I was yonder, and I am now 28 years old

However the trading standard people took my PCs & Laptops, which I have a few of, as I am self-employed IT technician, took some other bits, I did my best to cooperate with them, I have admitted the distribution of this information along with the above mentioned reasoning, stating that I would not do any such thing if I knew it was not legal, they thanked me for the cooperation, gave me some paper work, and said that the all the PC had to be checked, and that I would get them back as soon as possible, he also added that he will arrange for me to have an interview with him at the council soon

Can someone please provide me with some information regards XXXXX XXXXX and what I could do next, I am not a criminal, and this situation is really upsetting me, I had nothing to eat the whole day and I am scared that they will come to arrest me in front of my partner and the children :(

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good evening Jo,

I would like to know what is my legal position? does the fact that it was not my intention to do anything wrong in the eyes of the law, the fact that I have not previous criminal record, and the fact that I am doing my best to cooperate with the trading standard staff, having explained to them the above, still mean that I could face imprisonment? It is my firm intention to never get involved with such thing ever again, I come from a respectful family who has never had such situations

What is the piracy issue?

What are they actually saying you are doing?