How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31034
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live with my partner of 8 years in my house which I own.

Customer Question

I live with my partner of 8 years in my house which I own. He earns approx 100 K per annum and a further £15000 pa from renting his own house. I have 2 pensions totaling £12000 P/A plus further income from employment of approx £8000 P/A although this is variable and set to reduce. My partner pays £300 a month towards the joint household bills which include my interest only mortgage and an additional £300 for food and household sundries. He has also contributed £20000 towards home improvements. He is not contributing anything towards my capital mortgage which will end in 3 years time . I will then have to either sell my home or move and take out a a buy to let mortgage to pay off the remaining £85000 capital. We have 3 grown up children each by previous marriages.
He wants us to get married, eventually selling both homes and buying a house with the proceeds, making wills that if one partner dies provision be made for the remaining partner to stay in our joint home until his or her death following which the house is divided equally between each of the 6 children.
I'm reluctant to do this as I am older than him and his children are younger. I am concerned therefore that my children may not realise any settlement until much later in life, if at all. Also, his children already stand to gain a great deal of money from both their mother's estate as well as my partner's substantial pensions and capital investment.
I want to keep my home and leave it in its entirety to my own children after my death and believe that as our income and assets are so disproportionate it would be fairer if he should buy any future joint home which would his children would then inherit on both our deaths.
Before I agree to marry I need to ensure that I am financially secure in the event of my partner dying before me or possible divorce.
My questions are
1. Should I insist on a Prenuptial agreement and if so how legally binding would this be?
2 What exactly should I be asking for? Is there a mathmatical formula for calculating a fair division of assets based on full financial disclosure from each partner?
3 If we split up would my partner/possible husband be able to claim back the sum he has contributed towards the current home improvements.
4 My partner has in the past tried to insist on his younger children living with us in my home. In the event of marriage has he or they any legal rights to do this? They are all adults
5 If we stay co-habiting would it be in my interests to have a legal agreement regarding our finances as outlined including our relative contributions towards the household costs.
I would like him to pay the rental money he receives for his own house towards my mortgage.
I would be grateful for any legal guidance you can give me on these issues.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

1. how old are your and his children?
2. what is the value of the house?
3. what is the total value of the other assets you and he hold (a total value rather than individual values is fine)?
4. does either of you have any pensions?


Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 3 years ago.

I wondered whether you would like to give me the information above so that I can help you with your question?

Kind regards,

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions