How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11028
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband was involved in an RTA the day before yesterday.

Customer Question

My husband was involved in an RTA the day before yesterday. He is a bus driver and a car ran into the back of the bus. She had apparently tried to overtake him on the inside and couldn't make it because the road narrowed. She got out of her car and onto the bus with a very aggressive attitude causing a passenger to ask her to tone her attitude down as she was frightening the passengers small child. My husband got off the bus to take a photogtaph of the accident and she had driven off without leaving her details. He reported at the police station but couldn't give them any details

2 1/2 hours later she arrived at the bus depot with her details and said she had panicked and they sent them to the police. At the depot she said my husband had been speeding, however he was coming off a traffic island, had standing passengers and was approaching pedestrXXXXX XXXXXghts followed by the bus stop so it was impossible for him to speed there. Added to that if he was speeding then she must have been too to try and overtake him

Yesterday my husband had to visit the local walk in centre as his back had started to stiffen and he couldn't turn his neck properly. He was advised not to drive

What is the position legally
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The position as narrated by you is that the woman driver has caused the accident through her negligence. The bus company has a claim for damage to their bus and your husband has a claim for personal injury and any loss of wages if he can't go to work because of his injuries. He should see a personal injury solicitor who will intimate a claim to the woman's insurers, obtain medical evidence etc. of he is in pain he should continue to see the doctor so that there is a record of him doing so. It may also be the case that the insurance company will offer him physiotherapy or other treatment on a private basis to assist his recovery however he is still entitled to compensation for his losses.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, can I just add something else. The company my husband works for has a habit of not fighting cases but paying for repairs etc as it is cheaper than fighting a case and in essence puts the blame on their driver. . If they do this will my husband have an redress against them


Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Your husband's claim is separate from that of his company. Even if the company admitted liability that would not affect your husband's claim as any court hearing the case would have to take account of the factual evidence, not whether the company admitted liability or not.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice