29905560

I currently work ad hoc for a Motorsport events company. I

Customer Question

I currently work ad hoc for a Motorsport events company. I was initially introduced to the company by the Chief Medical Officer who I have learnt claims a commission for every time I work for the company. I have no contract with the CMO and I was not informed of this commission. Is it legal for him to claim from my working, which is now arranged with the Company Director. Also his contract is under review and may not be renewed but he has claimed that he will receive a commission on my working for 3 years. Is it legal for him to do this?
Karin

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you self employed or an employee?

Ben Jones :

PS: I a just due to go offline but will continue with this later on this evening, thank you

JACUSTOMER-w2pihxv1- : Self employed
Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. It is irrelevant whether you have a contract with the CMO or not, what matters is what arrangement he has with the company - whether he gets paid commission for you is a matter for him and the company to agree on and you do not have to be included in such an agreement, or even know about it. You are not affected by this because you have a contract with the employer and as long as you are getting what you are due under that contract then there is no issue from a legal point. Your rights in this situation would only be limited to a breach of contract by the employer but if they have not breached you contract in any way and adhere to all of its terms then you have no right to pursue this any further and any commission arrangements between the CMO and the employer are a separate matter for them to agree.

JACUSTOMER-w2pihxv1- : Logged off just as I asked question even though told there was someone on line waiting to answer.
Ben Jones : I advised you as soon as I picked up your question that I was about to go offline so you were free to relist it for another expert if you wanted to. I am afraid we are not on here 24/7 as we all have lives outside of this place. You question was after all answered above