12826847

I got divorced earlier this year. There were no assets to separate

Customer Question

I got divorced earlier this year. There were no assets to separate - we each had a loan that we took out during our time together. I will have paid my loan off by the end of this month (which was the greater of the 2 loans) but I have been giving my ex-husband money for his loan too frankly because a) I felt guilty for leaving him and b) He said he would try to take my house if I didn't. I'm not sure he could do this as the house is solely in my name and I owned it before our relationship started. It was never the marital home, in fact he doesn't even know where it is within the town and has never been in it, it is rented out. Essentially as time has gone on not only do I feel a bit silly for paying it but I could really use that money to help save for my own house. Would he have any legal grounds on which to proceed if I did stop giving him the money as he says he will take legal action? He also feels as he paid for the honeymoon that he encurred additional costs whilst we were together and therefore that I essentially owe him.

Many thanks.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long did you live together and what was the extent of the debts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We lived together for 2 1/2 years. I took out a loan of 18,000 and he took one about 1 1/2 later for 10,000.

What assets did you each have when you met?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had the house mentioned in the initial statement (which I did not live in) and a car.

He had a car and his savings.

My income is approx £27,000 post tax with a further £5,000 in rental income from my house.

His income is approx £27,000 pre tax

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What were the loans used for?