I worked as a volunteer in a charity shop, after working an

Customer Question

I worked as a volunteer in a charity shop, after working an afternoon shift, I was confronted by the regional manager and manager and accused of taking a bag from the shop sometime the previous week. The evidence was I was seen at a cabinet taking the said bag out of the cabinet and putting it into a shop carrier and putting this bag behind the counter, then taking it into the back room. The shop has cctv cameras but the back room does not. I was told that the manager and one other saw this same bag in a locker which also contained my bag. The regional manager said I was seen by the manager to take this bag out of the locker and walk out of the shop with it, the regional manager then went on to say that she followed me from the shop to my car, and that she could see the said bag through a shop carrier I was carrying.

I pointed out to both managers the following:

1. by removing the bag from the cabinet, I was doing my job, the bag was put into a shop carrier because a customer was going to pick it up later, when the customer did come to collect said bag, I took it to the back of the shop where we put items customers have not collected yet.

2. I did not put the said bag into a locker.

3. If the manager saw me take this bag out of the shop, why did she not stop me?

4. The regional manager has lied by saying that when she followed me, she claims to have seen said bag through a shop carrier while I was walking to my car, this would not be possible because it was after 5 oclock and so hence dark, it is not possible to see anything in the shop carriers because they are not clear. The only items I carried in a shop bag were two items I had purchased in the shop, and have the receipts for, a bag of potatoes and a carton of milk and surely if the regional manager had seen the said bag being carried out of the shop again why did she not say something to me?

I have made a complaint against this accusation to the Chief Executive of the charity who has come back and said there is a prima facie case to answer but they are not going to prosecute.

I am not satisfied with this outcome but I know the managers will all back each other. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

That there is a prima facie case to answer but they are not going to is a fairly standard response. However, where there are disputed facts between you on the one hand and the managers on the other, I have difficulty in suggesting any alternative but to accept the successful outcome of your grievance. It is clear that the Chief executive wants to avoid conflict.

In the absence of going legal, which you don't want to do on financial grounds you should leave well alone in the knowledge that the managers have been overruled.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please clarify - what do you mean by 'accepting the successful outcome of your grievance'? This is not a success full outcome.

And what do you mean the managers have been overruled? Their lies have been accepted?

May i suggest you read my statement again and fully.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I have already fully read your statement.

The two managers told lies about you.

However as there were two of them there is a prima facie case as they corroborate each other.

However, you raised a grievance with the chief executive and he has elects to take this no further.

That is the best outcome you are going to get without going legal which you expressly stated you didn't want to do. Sorry if you don't like that answer but that is the correct answer where two people come up against one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if your post is for information why am I paying for legal advise £54 to be exact. Why does it state above reply to expert?? when it would appear you are not one.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a solicitor with some 28 years experience in the matters we are discussing. However, this is a question and answer forum not a face to face consultation so there is no lawyer / client relationship. If you wish such a relationship then you can instruct a lawyer face to face and pay full fees and get the benefit of the lawyer's indemnity insurance. However, frankly, the answer you get will be the same.

I appreciate you are in the right and don't like the outcome of the grievance you raised but I have to stress without taking this further via a solicitor you will not get any better outcome. You can appeal the Chief Executive's decision if you like but that may just result in him deciding to hold a disciplinary hearing in any event and as I said before there are two of them and one of you so the outcome may not be as you would wish.

That is why I have advised to leave alone.