75100385

on the 1st nov 2013 i responded to an advert in the local paper

Customer Question

on the 1st nov 2013 i responded to an advert in the local paper about a bungelow for sale
i telephoned the estate agent who was dismissive of my enquiry saying that an offer had
been made for the property of £90,500 which was £500 pounds over the asking price. i ask if it was possible to view the property he said there would be no viewings. A little later a friend telephoned the estate agent and asked about viewing the bungelow and was told that there would be an opportunity to view later that sme day so we went along with a builder friend and spoke to the estate agent who said if i wanted to put in a bid then i would need to go down to his office so i did and made an offer of £95,000 later in the day i was asked to return to the office prove that i had the £95,000 to cover the cost of my offer which i did. i was told that my offer would be submitted to the solicitors who were managing the estate on behalf of the owners. the estate agents said they would let me know about any further developments i heard nothing so i rang them yesterday only to be told that the original offer had been accepted which a lot less than my bid how can i find out if my bid was submitted? and if so why was it rejected, please help

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you know who the Solicitors are please?

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

i do not know who the solicitors are the estate agents clark davidson will know

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

01519441807

Alex Watts :

Before we continue you must know this is a question and answer site and I am unable to carry out work for you as this is against site rules

Alex Watts :

Is that ok?

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

well who can help if a solicitor can.t?

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

what is against site rules?

Alex Watts :

This site is manned by Solicitors and they answer questions - but we can not act for you. We can tell you what to do but can not be instructed on a professional basis.

Alex Watts :

I can not call the agents or write on your behalf. But I can give you advice as to what you should do.

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

ok tell me what to do

Alex Watts :

Are you ok with that though?

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

please call the estate agents then

Alex Watts :

I can not do that - I can not be instructed. I am only able to tell you what you need to do.

Alex Watts :

The site rules (for which I work) say I can not do any work which would create a legal relationship between us.

Alex Watts :

I can give you advice and tell you what to do but that is the limit of what I am able to do.

Alex Watts :

This site is for general purposes only and not designed to be a cheap alternative to seeing a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

Is that ok? Are you happy with the extent of what I can do?

JACUSTOMER-8qri102y- :

ok alex tell me what to do .

Alex Watts :

Ok - the first thing to say that they are is no obligation to accept your offer even if it is higher.

Alex Watts :

This is because either party can accept or reject an offer for whatever reason

Alex Watts :

And indeed an offer can be withdrawn (or the property can) at any point up until contracts are exchanged.

Alex Watts :

So either party can pull out at any time before contracts are exchanged.

Alex Watts :

You can ask who the Solicitors are and the reason that the offer was rejected.

Alex Watts :

The agents can tell you who their client is for these purposes.

Alex Watts :

But the Solicitors are under no obligation to tell you WHY the offer was rejected - there is no legal requirement to this.

Alex Watts :

If the agents will not tell you who they are then the step would be to go to the Ombudsman.

Alex Watts :

They are independent and they examine complaints regarding estate agents.

Alex Watts :

Their website is: http://www.tpos.co.uk/

Alex Watts :

But those are your options.

Alex Watts :

See if the agent will tell you who the Solicitor is.

Alex Watts :

If they do not - go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

If they do - write to the Solicitor - but be under no illusion the Solicitor does not have to accept the highest offer or give you a reason.

Alex Watts :

I realise that this may not necessarily be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Can I help further?