13262538

when my husband passed away, in 2011.He left all his property

Customer Question

when my husband passed away, in 2011.He left all his property to me provided I survived him for 30 days, we had the will signed and witnessed, but I can no longer find it. I believe it will be needed when I pass away, to ensure the nil rate band for him is passed on to my estate for inheritance tax purposes. How can I find who would have had access to his will when he passed away I hope you may be able to help. thank you

Clare :

Clare :

Thank you for your question

Clare :

My name is Clare and I shall do my best to help you

Clare :

but I need soem further information first

Clare :

Were there any assets held in your husbands sole name?

JACUSTOMER-651dm4qq- :

Just an Issa account and small amount in a current account, most of this was used up in funeral expences

So the house was in joint names and there was no need for the Will to go to Probate is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, but I cannot remember how it was I did not need probate, who would have decided this

It wasn't needed because anything in joint names passed to you automatically and Probate was not needed
Accordingly do not worry - there is no need to produce the Will to claim the double tax relief - all your executors will need to show is his death Certificate and to show that Probate was not obtained
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details