13262538

Hello I have been living with my partner for over 3 years.

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner for over 3 years. We used to live in my rental 1 bedroom flat in central London. I lived in the same flat for 15 years. So, the rent was relatively cheap.
My partner bought a house and asked to move to his new house with him. I move in with all my things which I have accumulated for 21 years I have been living in England.
Now, 6 weeks later he asked me to go because he is finding difficult to live with me.

Nowadays, I was made redundant from an IT Manager position and I haven't found a new position which pays me well as before. I work from home as an interpreter/translator and my income is very little. He knew all that! All I could find so far is a single bedroom in someone's house that I cannot even assemble a 1 door wardrobe. Everything that is mine will be left behind as I won't have space. I'm going with the basics (clothes and my laptop)

My question are: Didn't he break an agreement? Don't I have any rights to ask for compensation? The fact I left my flat and 6 weeks later he doesn't want anymore doesn't it look like very irresponsible for a 50 years old. Is there anything I can do?

Rose Mariah
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much time has he given you to move out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going to visit my family from the 24/11 to 10/12. When I came back I'll be leaving to a bedroom in Herner Hill. However, I'll have to leave behind everything as I won't have any space to put my things. In fact the bedroom has a space to put a 1 door wardrobe.

How long will he store your things for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

He says it OK to store for a short while in the loft, however, he is only storing some clothes and books. Kitchen, eletronic staff etc will all be left behind or thrown away.

Please, could you tell me where do I stand? If

When you moved in what arrangements were discussed about what would happen if you split up?
Ps have you considered storage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, we never made any arrangements. We were just in love and I was that stupid really.

Yes, I've considered storage. However, it will be tough to pay rent as it is let along to have a extra payment for storage. I'm in no financial condition to pay for it.

I am afraid that provided he gave you "reasonable notice" - say one or two months.
You had made no arrangements as to what should happen so there is no broken agreement
However you are correct - he has not acted well and it woudl be reasonable for you to ask him to store your belongings (store not use) for say six months to give you time to re-establish yourself.
Sadly there is no legal requirement for this
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

However, I asked him many times if he was certain he wanted me to move with him. Also, I commented I was worried to leave my flat. He told me not too worry about it.

Hasn't he broke his agreement with me? Doesn't he have any responsibility?

Did he ever say that the house would also be yours and offer to put it in joint names?
IF he did then maybe you have a minor financial claim - but it is unlikely I am afraid.
I am sorry but co-habitees have very few rights at all
I am afraid that forcing him to store the goods - or giving you more time to move - is the best that that you can achieve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare for your help.

It is sad I can do very little when you believe you have an implicit agreement. Anyway, I knew I didn't have basically any rights. Try to the best I can with whatever resources I have. I'll try to reason with him I was left in a dare situation.

Have a good weekend

I agree it is simply not fair and that sadly you are indeed a victim in this