12826847

My friend has just confided in me that he is being blackmailed

Customer Question

My friend has just confided in me that he is being blackmailed for the last 6years because he send nude pictures to a minor! The family have been blackmailing him for money and sex since this, they are threatening to sue his parents once they take him to court as they have told him he will get 7 years if he doesn't do what they ask! What do I tell him?

My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How old was your friend when he sent these pictures and how old was the minor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was 18 and I think the minor was 14
Did he know she was 14?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume so as his friend gave the minor his number to contact him

The truth is that there isn't really any good news. Obviously sending indecent images to a minor is an offence although it isn't going to attract anything even remotely like 7 years.

That said, blackmail is an offence too and if this does genuinely amount to a blackmail then they will be needing their toothbrush at court for a period of years not months. Blackmail attracts heavy penalties too. If he has kept records of their conduct then they might well be going to prison and he will escape with a suspended sentence.

If he reports it though, of course, there is a risk that he would be prosecuted. If this is just one image then he isn't going to get 7 years although he might get a suspended sentence and would be placed on the sex offenders register. This is always supposing they can still prove the offence.