Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

It is certainly unconstitutional but Is it illegal for an

Customer Question

It is certainly unconstitutional but Is it illegal for an amateur cricket club chairman to also be secretary and treasure
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. Who legal form does the club take? Is it a company? Are there other directors?

Why do you say it is unconstitutional - do the clubs rules require the offices to be separate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You had enough information in the request. It is an amateur cub. A cricket club run for the benefit of its members.

Don't bother to waste time getting back to me. Keep the money but don not take any more.

RB.

Thank you for your response.The reason I asked for more information is because what is lawful will depend upon the how the club is constituted. A lot of members clubs are companies limited by guarantee and in a company structure you need to have at least one separate director from the secretary so it is not lawful for one person alone to be both unless there are also other directors.
If on the other hand the club is just an unincorporated association then what can be done is entirely governed by the rules of the club and general trust law.

If the members are unhappy they must have the power to remove the chairman and replace him.

You are welcome to come back with any further questions. You do not need to pay any more.

I do not get any credit anyway unless you give me a favourable rating for my response -the site simply keeps the money.

It is of course entirely up to you what you do - I can ask for a refund for you if you would like.