Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Is it legal for employer to retain your email address after

Customer Question

Is it legal for employer to retain your email address after you've left the business. The employer's argument is that every email correspondence comes to the company as opposed to an individual employee, and therefore it is their intellectual property.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Once you have left a company an email that was set up in that as your account can be retained by the company. What they should do is divert any emails from that address to a new address as quickly as possible.

What the company is not allowed to do is send out emails in your name or open any emails that are obviously of a personal nature.

Do you have any further information you can give me? I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ