Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

my sister died in July but left no will my son has worked

Customer Question

my sister died in July but left no will my son has worked the probate and that has been granted to me as the only sister There is a house but it was never registered on the land registry data am I still allowed to sell it as I assume it is legally mine and will it cause any problems for potential buyers The property is in Plymouth
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. I am sorry for your loss.

The fact that it is not registered does not matter. Land Registration is a result of the Land Registration Act 2002 after which all Land become registerable on certain events. Normally a conveyance of non registered makes first registration mandatory.

It is probably just that your sister owned the property before the registration system was applicable and subsequently triggered a first registration.

This will not preclude you from selling it as beneficiary or trustee, but you should take the will and all the deeds to a solicitor just so they can check everything is in order and the title can be properly deduced.

AJ