Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My partners father died recently and in his will he stated

Customer Question

My partners father died recently and in his will he stated that he wanted his grandchildren to receive £500 each and the remainder of the estate to be divided equally between his children.
After he made his will we adopted another child which the deceased adored and it was his wishes that she too inherited, however two of his siblings are disputing the will and will not agree to our Daughter receiving £500 because she is not specifically mentioned in the will. We have another adopted child who was specifically named on the will and he has received his money.

Can we dispute the will on behalf of our Daughter as we know that it would be against the wishes of the deceased?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I confirm whether the will names the beneficiaries who are to inherit or whether it refers to classes of beneficiaries - e.g. "my children" or "my grandchildren" please?

JACUSTOMER-ddf6q8ox- :

I cannot find my copy of the will but can get it later but I remember it saying that he wished each of his grandchildren to receive £500 and then went on to name each one. The will was made before we adopted our Daughter Charlene so she is not named.

Joshua :

Thanks. I think it may be more helpful if I can know the exact wording however if you want to resume later when you have the will? However if you prefer I can give you general information to enable you to determine the position yourself later when you have access to the will. How would you prefer to proceed?

JACUSTOMER-ddf6q8ox- :

I will get the specific wording as I think that is important for determining the legal position

JACUSTOMER-ddf6q8ox- :

How do I come back to you later?

Joshua :

I think that will be more helpful for you if you have access to the document. I will be around until 5pm and then again after around 7pm later if I miss you. You can return to this thread at any time to continue. It should be accessible both from your account and any email you have received.

JACUSTOMER-ddf6q8ox- :

Ok great. Thank you

Joshua :

A pleasure. I look forward to hearing from you later.

JACUSTOMER-ddf6q8ox- :

My partner and I spoke last night and we are not going to pursue the matter legally as it really isn't worth it. His brother and sister are just being greedy and selfish so they are welcome to it

Joshua :

No problem. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.