29905560

done work for builder april 2013 owes 600 pound

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What would you like to know about this?

Customer:

is it possible to send a letter or take him to the small claim court . to try to get my money that is owed

Ben Jones :

Why has he refused to pay you?

Customer:

every ecuse you think of

Ben Jones :

Ok, well if there is a problem with recovering money that a party believes is legally due to them, they have the option of pursuing this as a legal debt. The following steps should be followed:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been unanswered, the other side needs to be sent a formal letter (preferably by recorded delivery) asking them to pay the money they owe within a specified period of time, usually 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do pay, legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the money owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action, which should be a last resort. It is therefore essential that it is sent.

3. If they fail to pay as requested or do not make contact to at least try and come to some form of arrangement, this matter can be taken to the next stage and formal legal proceedings can commence. If this is just about an attempt to recover money the claim can be submitted online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. There will be a court fee to pay depending on the amount to be recovered (this is usually refundable if the claim is successful) but at least this will kick-start the legal process and hopefully prompt the other side into resolving this without the need to go to a formal court hearing. If the value of the claim is below £10,000 it will most likely be assigned to the small claims track which is a relatively straightforward process.

Finally, it is also strongly advisable to keep copies of all correspondence in relation to this, in case it is needed at a later stage.

Ben Jones :

I see you are trying to exit chat - has your original query been answered or do you need me to clarify anything before I close this at my end?

Customer:

thank-you . good service and advice

Ben Jones :

Thank you I hope you resolve this