Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My Gran inherited a house via laws of intestacy. Letters of

Customer Question

My Gran inherited a house via laws of intestacy. Letters of administration were granted and my gran has gifted the house to me via a formal signed letter. This has been sent to my solicitor who has registered the property with the land registry in my name. I have the deeds in my name. Is this now a valid gift or is there anything else I have to do? I'm now looking to sell the property.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

If your Solicitor has registered everything at the Land Registry and the title is now in your name, you legally own the property and there is absolutely nothing else you or your Solicitor need to do.

I hope this answers your question, but please reply if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much, so a letter is enough to formalise the gift? Assuming I will have to pay capital gains when the sale completes?

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what stage you are at- If your Solicitor has registered the transfer at the Land Registry, then everything has already been completed? To register everything, your Grandmother must have signed a Land Registry Transfer document, transferring the property to you. Has she done this?

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She didn't, as the property was never transferred to her name. It was registered to the deceased person, passed to my gran via intestacy, but never registered in her name. She then gifted it via signed letter to me, and so the property deeds were amended from the deceased name to my name.

You mention that the Solicitor has lodged everything at the Land Registry, but he wouldn't be able to just submit a letter signed your Gran. If the Land Registry have received the documents, then I am guessing that as your Gran has agreed to forfeit her legacy and pass it to you, then what has happened is that the Administrator of the Estate has signed the necessary document transferring the property straight to you.

Has the Solicitor sent you a copy of the Land Registry Deeds (called the Title Information document)?

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was the administrator myself, granted letters of administration. The deeds to the property are now in my name, which covers with the land registry. My solicitor completed the forms, but wondered if there was anything more required.

Thanks for clarifying things. Well, there is nothing else that needs to be done. You may wish to speak to an Accountant concerning CGT but that's all!

Kind Regards

AL