75100385

I bought a diamond ang gold ring for my 60th birthday late

I bought a diamond ang gold ring for my 60th birthday late april 2913 and it as already lost a stone . It came from a high st jeweller with a good reputation . I payed £ 1, 500 what are my rights when I take it back .i ask as I am quite shy .

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply

Alex Watts :

How did you pay for it please? Was it by credit card? Did it come with any form of warranty?

Customer: credit card no warranty bud all other rings in my possession heavy never lost a stone
Alex Watts :

Yes indeed. I am sorry to say that you can not claim a refund because you have a limited time to reject goods. This is generally accepted as being 2 weeks or so. But under consumer regulations something is deemed faulty if it goes wrong within 6 months. As you purchased this in April over 6 months has now passed.

Alex Watts :

You can try and take it back and see what they say, but I imagine they would refuse any claim because it has been over 6 months.

Alex Watts :

You should speak with your credit card provider and see if you can make a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Alex Watts :

They may try and say that you only have 3 months to bring a claim to them against a merchant/

Alex Watts :

If they reject it then you should make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, their website is: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

I should add although the card company may state 3 months there is in fact a 6 year time limit under the Limitation Act to make a claim.

Alex Watts :

But your first port of call is the retailer. Goods must be fit for purpose, of suitable quality and as described as per the Sale of Goods Act 1979

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Customer: Hope so, thank you
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Can I help further?