14 yr old daughter rang up mobile bill of £5,199 because went

14 yr old daughter rang up mobile bill of £5,199 because went on facebook in Dubai whilst away on hols. Contract in my name. Phone barred after 1 week on day she arrived home by Orange. Daughter told not to go on internet by me however told hotel wifi free. Contract started end Sept 2013 had iphone 4 for birthday so daughter ignorant of cost. Got bill and phone orange will take off £200 but says must pay remaining bill. Explained but mistake made on our part why was phone not barred after £1,000 instead of allowing it to run to £5,000 told don't info from abroad until wks or months later. Said she is minor however they said contract on with 18 yr olds. Said Orange staff were told for 14 yr daughter when took out contract. Would be grateful for advice. Thks

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did you originally ask for a bar please at £1000?

Alex Watts : I assume she used the 3G roaming rather than wifi?

majority of bill ie £4,758.071 for mobile internet and data (megabytes

Alex Watts : Just to be clear the contract is in your name.? Dd you block international roaming, I assume not?

No I assume she did not. She did receive texts telling her about going over limit etc and an option to opt out to continue using facebook she thought she was agreeing to hotel wifi so opted out to continue. Not with daughter on hols and husband totally ignorant using internet/mobiles abroad.

Alex Watts : It's bad news I am afraid.
Alex Watts : You are liable for the chagre,
Alex Watts : This is because your daughter should have checked she was using wifi. On the ipad you can switch off international roaming and also make it wifi only.
Alex Watts : These are two different settings that she could have used.
Alex Watts : Further there was the option of switching off International roaming with orange.this would have stopped anything abroad.
Alex Watts : Plus you could have asked orange to put a bar on excessive sums.
Alex Watts : Then there is the issue of the text alerts. She chose to continue.
Alex Watts : Sadly because of the controls above: wifi only, switch off international roaming on ipad, bar roaming with orange, not putting a bar with orange and opt out of texts for limits I am sorry to say you are liable.
Alex Watts : However I would write to orange and make a formal complaint. Set out your position and ask them to consider lowering the bill.
Alex Watts : You could argue it was outside your normal spending pattern and they should have blocked it.
Alex Watts : But if they refuse I am sorry to say all you can do is ask for time to pay because of the controls above.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

This is what I expected and I am aware that there were many mistakes and ignorance on mine and my daughter' part. I will however write to them with what you mention above. Many thanks. AMANDA

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience