Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Good morning, Two years ago we had a large array of electronic

Good morning,

Two years ago we had a large array of electronic solar panels installed on the roof of our cottage.

It worked very well, so much so, that some occasions the meter reading went backwards, building up a credit, so reducing the bill. This was an absolute delight!

With the long hot summer we have had this year the reversing of the meter went into overdrive. Now Scottish Electric has been in the replace the meter, so that it won't go into reverse.

I believe that they are unfairly restricting our sales to the national grid and also limited the amount of credit we should be receiving.

Am I right?

Best wishes,

Christopher Quinton
Black Lion Cottage
Greenmoor
Woodcote
Oxfordshire
RG8 0RD
Tel: (W) 01491 682491
Mob: 07973 540044
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Would I be correct to presume that you do not have an export meter fitted to your property please?

Customer:

The export meter transfers in bright daylight across to the main meter, thus reducing the meter reading, but beause if woul,t go into reverse I feel that our meter credit is being unfairly restricted.

Customer:

Dear XXXXX,

Customer:

Someone is taking me to a meeting in five minutes. Can we continue this conversation later, please?

Joshua :

Yes of course. I will be around for most of the day until around 4.30pm. Please revert at any time.

Customer:

Hi Joshua,

Customer:

Am back now.

Joshua :

Hello.

Joshua :

Could you tell me if the export meter was installed by your energy provider or the panel installer - can I also confirm we are not confusing an export meter with the generator measuring meter showing how much your panels are generating in electric?

Customer:

Any views of my previous emails Joshua?

Joshua :

Customer:

I am not sure Joshua. the meter was installed by the panels provider.

Customer:

I cannot say anything about the export meter. I would have thought that to get the rebates we would have one, but thinking of it, my wife has to ring through the meter readings, so perhaps, we don't have one.

Customer:

Sorry to be so vague.

Joshua :

Thanks. The position is (I am sure you are aware of this) that the feed in tariff you are paid is paid at a different rate to that which your electric supply is charged at and therefore the starting point is that the provider is within its rights to prevent their meter running backwards because it is highly unlikely that you are charged for electric at the same rate you should be paid for it.

However you are of course entitled to be paid for the electric you feed in. If the export meter was installed by your energy provider then its readings are conclusive however if the meter was installed by your panel installer then the energy provider is not bound by its readings but rather you are paid on a deemed reading of 50% of the electric generated. If you believe you are feeding in more than this then you can ask the energy provider to install an export meter but this is only worthwhile if you are generating a lot more because you have to pay for the costs. Smart meters are supposed to include functionality that will measure feed in but these are comparatively uncommon.

Joshua :

Accordingly I do not see that you have a case for complaint in resepct of the meter not going backwards any more but you will wish to ensure that you are being paid correctly for the electric you generate either at the deemed 50% level or if you feel it is worthwhile at the amount indicated by the export meter you can pay to have installed by your energy supplier

Joshua :

If you are being short changed on what you feed in you have grounds for a complaint which can ultimately be referred to the Ombudsmand for a decision

Customer:

That was very helpful. Thank you. We will look into this further.

Customer:

Thank you again

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.