29905560

Hi there please could you advise me if you can sue for inspiration

Hi there please could you advise me if you can sue for inspiration on many music tracks from Kylie Minogue to Olly Murrs and Robbie Williams

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Please explain your situation in a bit more detail

Customer: I wrote some fan love letters to kylie minogue one had wow in and they were made in to music tracks
Ben Jones :

when you say it had 'wow' in, what do you mean?

Customer:

the track wow wow wow is one where I put that in the letter I wrote plus the track was about me

Customer:

I was dancing at Fabric nightclub in London many years ago on a stage about 10 years ago. And many celebs appeared who were taken back I think by my standard of dancing and many tracks were written. Including some where I wrote to Kylie in e-mails letters

Ben Jones :

you mean you put the phrase wow wow wow in the letter? Was that all or were other specific phrases?

Customer:

I believe I was the core inspiration well I know I was for these music tracks. No not as such but the song was focused on me

Customer:

I believe if i never wrote that letter then that track or others as a result of me would have happened I know there was a recent case with Adele and her ex

Customer:

These artist including Kylie Minogue have used me for inspiration and have never been there for me none financially and financially

Customer:

please respond thanks for your help

Customer:

I never received a penny for my inspiration to many

Ben Jones :

just getting my response ready

Customer:

thanks

Ben Jones :

I am afraid the news is not good. First of all you can't claim that you writing 'wow wow wow' to someone who then used this in lyrics gives you any right to claim. You can only claim if you can show you had some copyrighted material, which must be original and display some skill, knowledge, etc. You will hardly be the first person to use such a phrase and can certainly not claim copyright over it. It's like someone writing a letter to Lionel Richie starting with 'Hello' and then claiming they were the inspiration for that song.

As to using you as an inspiration for songs, again no claim exists in law for this. Anyone can use another person for inspiration, you do not own your image or personality in law - these are not things you can restrict the use of. Someone can walk on the street and see or meet someone and then write a whole novel on them and that person cannot do anything about it. Not unless they were identified in some way and defamatory and false information published about them. But this does not appear to be the case here so if anything, be proud you were used as an inspiration but forget about claims, these are simply not possible in such cases, I am sorry

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

I guess they are just money grabbing bastards for using me and not helping me

Customer:

thanks for your help though

Ben Jones :

well I can't pass judgement on them, this is obviously more personal for you than for me and I understand your frustration but I can only advise on your legal position even if I know it is not what you would have liked to hear

Customer:

okay it just angers me to hear these songs and not being able to stop them

Customer:

bye

Ben Jones :

Good night, can I just check if this has answered your query?

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'