12826847

A neighbour has incited hatred and spread rumours about me

Customer Question

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was purchasing our bungalow as our landlords were selling it. We had very good rapport until recently. Everything was going well until a month ago when i received a warrant for eviction. My rent was up to date and i was trying to get funds together to pay the deposit. The eviction date was scheduled for 26/11/2013. I tried to avoid it and wrote a letter to the landlord pleading clemency. I asked the court for a hearing which was scheduled also for 26/11/2013 @10am and i was told that if it was unsuccessful the bailiff would give me an hr to pack my things. Which panicked me. I went to the council housing office and they confirmed it. I decided it would be more prudent to leave which is what i did. My possessions are in storage and i am homeless. On weds i got a call from church minister saying that a lady called saying horrible things about me and putting my name in disrepute.he told her to stop as it could not believe what she was saying. Since i practiced Podiatry from home i also had to relocate my business quite suddenly causing disruption and stress as i had to inform all 500 pts. I am also arranging an international conference and expecting important correspondence which i dont have access to as i did not have time to redirect my mail.

So how can I help?

I may have to pick this up in the morning of thats ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to sue for defamation of character, loss of my home, stress of homelessness, slander, disruption to my business, costs of moving business, loss of business, effect on my professional status. Loss of the opportunity to own my home. Stress caused in my marriage and effect on my husband's already frail and fragile mental status. Claim £200K.

Was there something you wanted to know about this specifically?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I how do I go about sueing her.

If you intend claiming for defamation then you will need to instruct a civil firm of solicitors and they will comply with the pre action protocol.

A defamation claim is very expensive though costing in excess of £10k if its contested and there is no legal aid. Its not suitable for no win no fee. If you lose then you will be liable for her costs which will be comparable to yours.

I should mention though that you need to prove that you suffered loss. I realise that you moved away but the court will say that was a choice made by you unfortunately. If her allegations caused customers to leave then you have a claim for that amount of loss.

I'm afraid you cannot claim for the lost opportunity to own your home as that was not a result of her comments directly.