I am aware that POCA (prevention of crimes act) is in the UK,

I am aware that POCA (prevention of crimes act) is in the UK, just as it is in Jamaica, gazetted 2006. Are there any objections, cases in court, objecting to the rules of this ordinance, and have there been successful cases against the application of the law? If so, can you refer me to the most important and illustrative (2-3) ones?
As far as I know, the law is quoted exactly as the British one. Then does that mean the precedents set in the UK may be used for and against this law in Jamaica? And be binding?
I would be grateful for your answer; I am in the Cambio Business, and I believe no businessperson should surrender his assets to a Government Authority, nor the assets in his business on the simple indication of "suspicion". The matter must be approved by the appropriate Magistrate, and he would give the necessary permission. Am I correct?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for contacting

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Jamaica, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.

Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX not aware a reply was there. Can you please advise what would happen in Britain?

Ramesh Sujanani

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I have been asked to look at this.

Judgments of the UK court are persuasive authority in Jamacia but no more. They are not binding upon the Jamacian jurisdiction that is, ultimately, independent.

However, your question really is about legal method rather than caselaw which will not be impacted by the Uk courts and rulings here.

That said, I can tell you that the in the UK, assets are confiscated under the POCA all the time and its for the owner to prove that he has them legitimately on the balance of probabilities.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice