29905560

20 years ago i had a relationship and had a son, the man didnt

20 years ago i had a relationship and had a son, the man didnt want to know and had no contact. my son is now almost 21. i am happily married and my husband has brought our son up from the age of 3. this man is now messaging my family on face book ringing rfiends at work and finding all the info he can and is threatening to find us. Our son does not know this man although we were forced into telling him about him and he does not want to know him or have any contact but this man will not leave us alone. please help.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer:

Hi I need to know what we can do as this man is causing distress, we have not heard from or seen this man for years, we need to stop him contacting us.

Ben Jones :

This could potentially amount to harassment. Under law (specifically the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in civil cases and the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in criminal cases), a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.

Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.

In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment.

So in the first instance the police can be contacted and have this reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the offender could be warned that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action will be taken against them.

Customer:

my friend has told him on numerous occasions not to contact us and my daughter, who he also has messaging has told him we do not want anything to do do with him and he wont stop.

Ben Jones :

you cannot force him to stop, if he refuses then you have to consider contacting the police to report this as harassment

Customer:

ok thankyou ben.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and all the best