Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father passed a way 5 years a go he left No will. On the

My father passed a way 5 years a go he left No will. On the house deeds it was in his name only.
My Mother has made a will and has left the house to my brothrer. Am I intitle to any thing from my father's side.
Thak you.
Mr. A.Leone.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mr Leone,

Thanks for your enquiry.

If your Father did not leave a Will, then his Estate is distributed in accordance with the strict rules of Intestacy (the rules pertaining to where someone dies without making a Will).

Under these Rules, your Mother would have been entitled to the first £250,000 worth of your Father's assets, to include the property.

If his Estate, including the house were valued at over £250,000 then you and your brother are entitled to the following-

Your Mother receives the first £250,000. Any monies over this amount are distributed so your Mother receives a life interest in half of whatever is left over

• The children receive the other half of the residue in equal shares.
  •  

Therefore if your Father left £250,000 or less, you are not entitled to anything.

I hope this has assisted you and answered your question.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

AL