Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

HelloMy wife and I are bankrupt. We have a few rental properties

My wife and I are bankrupt.
We have a few rental properties that are either in negative equity or very little equity.
We have kept up the mortgage payment since the order.
The trustees have just told us that the rents in the solely owned properties are part of the bankruptcy.
As most of our mortgages are on ‘plans’, as we had missed payments last year, if we miss just one payment then the property will be repossessed and then sold, and highly likely at a loss.
We make very little profit but owe home mortgage is paid by the rentals. This is in negative equity and therefore again if missed would be repossessed and sold for a massive loss.
We intend to buy back the BI with either family, friends or investors’ money, therefore we do not understand why a trustee would intentionally produce another creditor.
Can I ask what are my options?
Thanks you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is about the third question that has not been answered this month. Is there any reason why it has been hard to get a Professional lately?

I have not been told anything by Professionals, I am sorry.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

As you have rightly pointed out whilst you are servicing these mortgages then you are effectively stopping another creditor from being part of your estate in bankruptcy.

You need to start negotiating with the trustee, get a valuation of the property, show they are negative equity and ask the trustee to confirm how much it will cost to purchase the properties from the estate. In theory you should have all the power because if you stop servicing those mortgages then the number of creditors in your estate will increase.

When will the trustee be discharged? Has the trustee indicated how much he/she will accept? I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for getting back me.

The valuations have taking place but the trustee is finding it difficult to get redemption figures off of the mortgagee. If I tell the trustees there won't be equity are they duty bound to listen or will they still go ahead and collect the rents?

They are aware I have family and friends to try and buy back the BI.

thank you

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Until you buy those properties out of your estate, the rents belong to the trustee.

What I dont understand is why they want a redemption figure? Surely you will just continue to service the mortgage? Or will they be re
repaid in full?

Have you asked the bank for a redemption figure? If they wont co operate write to the bank and say that they are not entitled to "fritter away the equity of redemption". If they do not provide the up to date statement forth you could make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, but you would have to consider that carefully because you dont want to upset your relation with the bank.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I presume they want the redemption figures so that they can work out if there is any equity in the property so they can work out the BI. If I don't get the rents in I will be unable to not only not service the rental mortgages but also our home as this is how I make a living.

Family, Friends and investors are certainly not interested in paying in full as this counter acts the reason of asking them to help as the mortgages are on low rates, something I see will not happen again.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

You will be entitled to the rental incomes when you purchase the properties out of your estate in bankruptcy but currently the properties are in the name of the trustee.

Have you given the trustee you last mortgage statements for example because that may help them to make a decision. You need to make it clear to the trustee that if he does not approve the sale soon, you will default on the mortgage and that will be detrimental to the creditors.

Have you tried making an offer?

AJ

Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE