12826847

I am being harassed by a company chasing a disputed (I dispute

Customer Question

I am being harassed by a company chasing a disputed (I dispute it) debt of just over £10 (yes, just £10). I have seen that they have been doing searches for me a major credit check site. The worst thing is, they have somehow got hold of my mother's phone number and have been asking her questions. She is 87 and very frail.

This trivial 'debt' happened about 3 years ago, when I had closed my account with a broadband supplier, but they kept charging me. At the time, I made a number of phone calls to sort it out, and wrote to them.

It seems the broadband company has assigned the debt to this chasing company who is being incredibly unreasonable and pushy for such a tiny sum. What can I do ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you accept owing the money please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not accept owing that £10.
I was told very clearly at the time that the account was closed and there would be no other charges.

If you don't owe the money then you can just tell them that you are not liable and invite them to sue. They are not going to sue for £10 in practice anyway.

What they may do is add a default to your credit account. In truth they might have done that anyway so its not real threat now. You need to do a search with Experian to ascertain that. If there is a default then you can lodge a notice of dispute.

You can always ignore the letters.

If they start telephoning then there is a simple trick to get rid of them over the phone. They will ask you a series of personal questions, such as your date of birth mother's maiden name. Just refuse to answer those questions and then they cannot talk to you any more because they can't identify you under the Data Protection Act. They do keep phoning but it cut shorts the conversation every time and, in the end, they do get the message.

There are no magic wands that will stop them contacting you. There is suggestion that pursuing a debt that is not due amounts to harassment but the problem is that its hard to quantify the loss that you suffered in having to tell them not to call again. If you are prepared to spend money on this though then the benefit in suing for harassment might be that you would get an injunction to stop them contacting you.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’