Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We are thinking of drawing on the equity on our house, we have

We are thinking of drawing on the equity on our house, we have no mortgage, and the extra cash will enable us to live a shade better with no worries, and carry out some home improvements, are these schemes for releasing money safe, we realise that the monies received will be repaid to the lender after our deaths plus intrest that is given as 5.53%please can you advise.
H
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Could you please let me know if you are able, as far as you are aware, able to get a standard Mortgage or are you both retired/don't work and looking for an equity release scheme? If you could let me know your ages that would help also.

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are both retired, I am 73 and my wife 72 in December, and yes we

are contemplating looking foran equity release of about £30,000.00

Thanks for your reply.

Well, there are lots of equity schemes out there, but you both need to make sure that this is the right thing for you to do. Yes, it will allow you to live more comfortably, but you have to bear in mind that although the standard interest rate is approx. 5%, all of these schemes are subject to "compound interest" which means that because you are not making any monthly repayments, you will be paying interest on the interest which is being accumulated. This has the effect that a £30,000 loan will mean there is approximately £80,000 outstanding after 10 years!!

You must also remember that if you were to take out a scheme the Lender views it as a lifetime loan, which is only repayable on your death or if you both went into a Nursing Home. So, the longer the loan remains, the higher the outstanding amount gets, but if you wished to repay it early, you are then penalised with a hefty early repayment charge of anything from £5 to £10,000.

I am not saying not to take out the loan, but you should speak to a specialist financial adviser before proceeding, and as long as you are aware of the hefty increase in the amount that becomes outstanding over the years (and your Daughter and any other children you have are aware that this will vastly reduce their inheritance), then at the end of the day, it is your house and you are free to do with it as you wish.

I hope this assists you.

Kind Regards

AL