Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I was given (on loan) my Great Grandfathers diaries which

I was given (on loan) my Great Grandfather's diaries which record life in the Cabrach from 1891 - 1915. I was given these by his grandson who has since died. I have been in possession of these diaries for approximately 10 years now. Recently I have been approached by another member of the family to give them the diaries which I am reluctant to do as I am afraid that they will be lost and or destroyed. Do I have the right to hold on to them or must I give them over?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 3 years ago.

If they were loaned to you then they would be the property of whoever inherited the grandson's estate and they could ask for their return.

Why not have them copied?

If there are any further points please reply

Best wishes

Michael