13262538

Hello My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an egyptian woman who got officially

Customer Question

My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an egyptian woman who got officially married in Egypt. I want to know my legal marital status here in UK. Before i move to uk i got married to an egyptian doctor who recently got the british citizenship. I lived in the uk for more than 5 years now and thanks to my husband i was given an indefinite leave to remain. As i mentionned earlier we were married in egypt but we did not give notice to the british embassy nor did we register our egyptian marriage here in the UK.. i was told that my marriage here is recognized as legally binding but i am not recognized under the british law as a british wife therefore in terms of divorce or god forbid a death i wouldnt be entiteled to inheritence or any rights that are normally given to british wives by the english court. Does that mean that in case of divorce or death of my husband i would be left me and my children with nothing?and if thats the case, what are the procedures i should take to have an official civil english marriage and to become lawfully married in the uk and have a british marital status to guarantee my rights as a british wife here in the uk
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Did or does your husband have another wife here or abroad?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he doesnt have other wife but me.

HI
Then you have no reason to worry
The Uk fully recognises your marriage and you have the same rights in the event of a Divorce or Death as you would have if you had been married here.
There is no process for the Registration of foreign marriages here in the UK - we simply recognise them!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So i will receive the legal rights of divorce and inheritance even though i do not have the british citizenship? Or do i have to be british as well?

Yes that is correct - your nationality is irrelevant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. Thats very helpful. Kind regards.

You are most welcome - good luck