29905560

On 20th November 2013 I signed an estate agents contract which

On 20th November 2013 I signed an estate agents contract which refers to a 7 day cooling off period. Under consumer protection law do I have a longer statuary period to cancel the agreement?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Why do you wish to cancel?

Customer:

I do not wish to cancel but have some concerns that I may have been misled and need to know if I have the right to cancel

Ben Jones :

In what way do you believe you were misled?

Customer:

I agreed a price for my property and subsequent correspondence indicates the estate agent wants to offer the property at a lower price. I am sure I can resolve this by an approach to the agent but before doing so I would like to know do I have the right to cancel

Ben Jones :

You will not have a statutory right to cancel beyond the cooling off period specified under contract. Instead, if you wish to terminate the agreement you need to either adhere to any other termination clause contained in the contract, or you must show that the other party has acted in breach of contract themselves or that they have been guilty of misrepresentation.

For example, if at the outset it was specifically agreed that they will market the property at a certain price and the contract does not allow for any variation, you can argue that they are now acting in breach of this agreement and that unless they stick to the original terms, they will be acting on breach of contract. In turn that could allow you to terminate the agreement with immediate effect.

Customer:

I think I am on fairly weak ground. I will contact them and negotiate the best terms I can. Thanks for the help

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and all the best