12826847

Could you please help me? I have received a letter for a notice

Could you please help me? I have received a letter for a notice of distress warrent for a fine from the courts for speeding it was agreed I pay £ 10.00 a week from my pension. I have been paying this but was slightly late on the one payment. I had no notification that this was being passed on to a debt collector what can I do they now want £ 170.00 and I only owed £85.00 to clear.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I have received a letter telling me I was behind with my payments before it was passed on to a collection agency?

Thanks for the information.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

This hasn't been passed onto debt collectors. You are dealing with bailiffs. This is a court fine and they are not subject to the consumer credit act or very much of the protections that are given to the subjects of CCJs.

I'm afraid there is no obligation to send any person letters reminding them of defaults. The whole principle of the criminal courts is that its the offender's responsibility to make sure that payment is made not that of the court or the bailiffs. That is applied to middle class offences like speeding as much as it is to offences more common amongst the criminal classes.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.