75100385

Hi I rented a serviced flat for a month for a so called friend,

Customer Question

I rented a serviced flat for a month for a so called friend, she was going to pay me but never handed over the money..the agreement was she stayed for over a month, approx 35 days at £70 a day. She since split with her short term partner and left the area and went back to her home town of seaford.
She has now left the flat with the keys and isnt taking any calls or answering texts. I think she has blocked my number to her phone.

Her friend has just this minute answered the girls phone saying I can collect the keys from her in seaford, meaning aXXXXXeach way.

The girl who rented the flat wont be there and she wont be bringing any money along.
Where to I stand with getting back whats owed when it is a verbal agreement with someone I dont know very well, there home address etc?

Please help.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I do not quite understand - does the person in the flat owe you money please ?
Alex Watts : Or now they have moved out - do you have a forwarding address?
Alex Watts : How much is owing please?
JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

Yes they owe money. They have left the flat earlier than planned

JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

they were due to leave the flat tomorrow, paying a rent of 70£ a day

JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

£2,450

JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

is the amount thats owed

JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

I payed the landlord in advance and agreed a rent of £70 per day with Sam Baker

Alex Watts : Do you know where they have gone, ie forwarding address please?
JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

my partner visited the flat on 3 occasions to collect the rent but she never handed any money over

JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

just the town, not an address

Alex Watts : I see, I am just going into court but should be finished in 15 mins.
Alex Watts : Do you have any way of getting their address?
JACUSTOMER-uhp1axe0- :

I tried calling again today...her friend answered...im going to collect the flat keys from her friend today in S Bakers home town of seaford. I have to drive 2 hours each way before the landlord returns home tomorrow

Alex Watts :

I see. Unless you have a forwarding address which they are living at then sadly you can not issue proceedings.

Alex Watts :

In order to issue proceedings under the Civil Procedure Rules you need to serve documents at the last known address.

Alex Watts :

This means you could issue at the property, but if you do not know where they live or work then you simply would not be able to enforce it

Alex Watts :

You would be throwing good money after bad. This is why you need an address.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :