Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Dear Sir, I have received a letter from a firm of solicitors

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I have received a letter from a firm of solicitors who say they are acting on behalf of the Emirates Bank in Dubai claiming £150K

Are you aware of any successful claim in the Uk courts of this nature

jon
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question, I will assist you with this, but would require you to explain this matter with more detail.

Are they claiming against you? If so, for what and why?
Who are the solicitors? Where are they based?
Any other information that you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I was in Dubai in 1999 I had an Emirates Bank account. I left in 2000 back to uk. Its possible that I may not have paid off all my debt when I left. I have received a letter on friday from Coyle White Devine solicitors from Amersham requesting a debt owed to the bank for £157,000

They are warning me that if i dont response they will take me to court

My questions is :

Is the contract with the bank in Dubai valid in an English court

and if so have there been any successful claims so far in the UK

Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry I need more information, without which I will be unable to assist.

Do you, or rather did you, or did you not have a debt in Dubai? £150,000 is quite a substantial sum of money, so surely you could not have simply forgotten this?

If you do recall this, I need to know what this debt was and what if any terms and conditions you may have agreed to.

I cannot simply give you a yes or no answer as it is very much dependant upon what the debt is and what the terms and conditions were.

Has the law firm provided you with a copy of the said agreement/debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a credit card when in Dubai. I do not know how much was the balance when i left, but there was probably some moneys due to be paid. Upon my return in 2000 i had forgotten about this and since 2000 i have not had any correspondence from the bank.

It appears that interest has been accruing and is now appx £150,000.

I do not have the agreement.

I am reluctant to contact the law firm until i have got some facts.

They say they have been convicting people at Northampton County court. where can I find info on current convictions, like this for debt in dubai.

I

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
current solicitor appears busy
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi, There is nothing at all to prevent a Dubai bank form suing you successfully for a debt in the UK. I doubt if there would be a public record of what judgements they might have got in Northampton county court. However there is a limitation period of 6 years on the recovery of debt - so unless you have acknowledged the debt in writing within the last 6 years the claim would seem to be statue barred.

If they have your correct address in the uk then it seems odd that you have not heard before.

You have a choice really - ignore the letter and hope they go away but be prepared to defend and claim.

or write back saying you have no knowledge of any such debt and since you left Dubai more than 12 years ago any debt would be statue barred so you deny absolutely that you owe them anything.

My advice is to do the latter but it is up to you.