Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I have been married twelve years in which time I have had to

Customer Question

I have been married twelve years in which time I have had to bail my husband out of £47k debts. The house I am now in is in my name only because he could not get credit and had no money for deposit etc and my father gave me my inheritance early. My husband lived here a year. He has now moved out into a flat with his daughter but makes no provision here and I am struggling financially and he boasts he has surplus cash now. So I have any rights please as I paid out so much for him?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each have and do you have any children together?
What assets do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no children
My income is £17,500 per annum and I'm disabled so get dla
His income would be slightly higher as he has three jobs.
He moved into my house and when we brought a joint one he got into
Debt so I worked two full time jobs to pay this off or I would loose the house as bailiffs were involved.
Then I brought the bungalow as I got my inheritance from
My father early and now he has left and I'm struggling and when he
Left his former wife he gave her money every month to pay everything.
Sue
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Do either of you have any assets
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is worth £180k and the outstanding mortgage is £77k

As aforementioned I paid all of the deposit etc he just paid half the mortgage for a year. The property is in my name and this has never been an issue as he has always said that the property is mine as it was my money that saved the last house and then further mine that secured this one.

With his ex wife I paid off her mortgage by remortgaging my personal property at the time of £25k and she never worked and she was given the house and he also paid all her bills and a living allowance.

I was signed off work three years ago due to my disability but this has never been an option for me as I have always been the one to sort everything financially. He said that I was to pay for the house as I have more money coming in than him. I don't but it just annoys me that he can walk out of all his responsibilities and expect me to pay everything again to keep a home and not go into debt.

I am very sorry but you have no claim on him at all.
In fact the major concern is that he may change his mind and try and make a claim on your house.
Sadly the difference in your incomes means that spouse maintenance is not relevant - and he has no assets against which you could claim.
I am sorry to to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.