29905560

Hi there, to cut a long story short, my mum had her ebay account

Customer Question

Hi there, to cut a long story short, my mum had her ebay account indefinately restriced due to her seller performance, however she had 100% feedback over a years worth of selling. Her account did drop for a couple of months while I went into labour early and had my prem twins, both were in and out of hospital for months having ops ect. I rang ebay to explain this and was told my reasons wouldbe considered a vaild reason and something may be done to her account regarding this... However several phones calls later the manager told me there was nothing they could do for her. She has sent two letters to ebay since this and put in postal orders expecting someone to reply but she hasn't heard anything. I then however decided to make my own ebay account so I could sell my stuff that my mum could no longer sell for me on her account but ebay have linked the two together and now Im not allowed to sell either!! Their reasons were because I am selling stuff that she had on her account.. I think it's really unfair and I shouldn't be penalised on my account for it. I received an email from them saying my account would be restricted to 5 items a months untl they review it again in 90 days, but once I phoned them they indefinately restricted it there and then! Is there anywhere I could take this case further as its not fair other family members should be affected by this, this means my sister & partners account could be closed soon aswell as they may link up with mine and my mums.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

JACUSTOMER-an6b7r83- :

Hi there :)

Ben Jones :

Just need t get my response ready

JACUSTOMER-an6b7r83- :

Ok

Ben Jones :

Your rights in this situation will be rather limited unfortunately. eBay is a private platform and there is no general legal right to be allowed to sell on it. It is at their discretion that people are allowed to become members and as part of the user terms, certain restrictions could be imposed if necessary. However, if they believe that there are reasons to restrict someone's access, or even the access of people related to them, they can do that. It is like someone inviting you and your mom to their house but after an argument with her, they ask her to leave and subsequently you are asked to leave as well because you are associated with her. It is their house and they have the right who they allow in it. In just the same way ebay is a private website and they can decide who they allow in it, or what restrictions they place on users. I agree that it is unfair but is it illegal - not really, and that is what creates your rights in this situation, meaning there is little you can do to challenge this apart from continue to try and resolve it with ebay directly.

Ben Jones :

I see you are trying to exit chat - has your original query been answered or do you need me to clarify anything before I close this at my end?

Ben Jones :

Hello?