Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

At the end of Septembner 2013, I contacted Wil Wilson, who

At the end of Septembner 2013, I contacted Wil Wilson, who repairs computers [Galaxy Computer Services Ltrd, Whitchurch, Shropshire] to come to my home and collect a Levono All-in-One for a GPU replacement fan. A couple of weeks wet by a d I telephoned him for an updae, to be told he had ordered the fan but was sent the wrong size, therefore had re-ordered it.

Following this, my Acer computer required a new graphics card and so I asked Wil Wilson to replace it. Also I provided a new set of RAM cards. (£100.00) He came to my home to effect the repair, but on replacing the graphics card it didn't work, and so he took the computer away with him. Then on my telephone call again to him I was told by a person called 'Mathew' that I would need a new motherboard. Since that time [now over 2 months] I have been unable to contact Wil or Mathew by telehone and they do not respond to my emails. I have requested that both computers be returned to me but to no avail. I have contacted CAB and they advised it be put before Trading Standards, but I am now informed that Trading Standards only deal with businesses and not consumers. I also asked advice from the Police, who tell me it's a Civil Matter.

Can you guide me as to how to proceed please.? I am a 75 year old pensioner and feel that am being taken advantage of here.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify if you have been dealing with the individual personally or with him via his business - the limited company you refer to - please?

Customer:

I dealt with the person himself, he has a repair shop at the address I gave to you.

Joshua :

So this was an arrangement between you and him outside of the ltd company business you refer to?

Customer:

I was advised he had opened a new computer shop I am not certain if the y are at the shop or at his home.

Joshua :

Thanks. from what you say if on balance you were dealing with him in the course of business it is safe to assume that you were dealing with him via his business rather than personally. However if there is an element of doubt you may consider if necessary a claim against them both - i.e. his business and him personally.

Joshua :

If he has failed to return you property despite written requests this amounts to a breach of contract and potentially a breach of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act.

Customer:

I would say that it s he via his business

Joshua :

If you have not already done so consider a written request for the return of the items within say 10 days failing which you reserve the right to issue proceedings against him in the county court for the return of the items or failing which their replacement value. You would need to issue against the correct person as above - him and/or his limited company.

Joshua :

The simplest way to issue proceedings is by using www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Joshua :

Could I be very rude and ask you to excuse me. I have a meeting with a client who has just arrived. I hope not to be very long - circa 20-30 mins. With your permission may I respond to any follow up questions you may have on my return?

Customer:

Thank you for your help. That's all for the moment

Customer:

Yes of corse thanks agakin

Joshua :

A pleasure. If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice