29905560

I switched my energy supplier from N Power to EDF in June.

I switched my energy supplier from N Power to EDF in June. My joint supply bills informed me that I was in credit (approx£400) since after several phone calls and even a recorded hard copy sent 3 weeks ago I still have not even an acknowledgment. Can I have a summonds issued to N Power in small claims to recover my overpayment and "out of pocket" expenses such as interest and time spent trying to pursue this matter

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Do you know for certain you are in credit or could this be an error?

Customer:

I have in my possession the final bills with exact sums of credit for both gas and electric.

Ben Jones :

If you were in credit at the time you switched suppliers and had settled all bills that needed paying, then of course you would be entitled to be refunded any outstanding amount. Unfortunately, not all companies are as efficient as we would like them to be and it may take a number of attempts to get what is rightfully yours. It does not mean they will refuse to reimburse you, just that it may not happen as efficiently as you would like it to.

Whilst court is an option I would not recommend that you go straight for it - you should ideally exhaust all other avenues before going down that route. You should pursue the company's own internal complaints procedure first, then the Ombudsman is an option too but they do take a few months to resolve matters as they are very busy.

If you go to court do not expect an immediate resolution either - depending on workload you could be waiting a few months before you get anywhere near having your claim heard. You would also have to pay court and gearing fees. Whilst the court can award interest this will not be much for this amount and any out of pocket expenses will be scrutinised and you are likely to find that there is very little you can claim in that respect. You have 6 years to claim in court so there is no rush to go there, try the other options in full first before you go there.

Ben Jones :

I see you are trying to exit chat - has your original query been answered or do you need me to clarify anything before I close this at my end?

Customer:

Ben Jones :

You are welcome