29905560

My husband was employed on sickness pay due to having lung

My husband was employed on sickness pay due to having lung cancer . He has never resigned nor have the company made him redundant. He did go back to work for three weeks . He was sure I would receive a years salary in the event of his death. Not sure why he thought this he sadly passed away on the 11/11/2013 . His employers attended the funeral but haven't been in touch not sure what I should do

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was this payment due from life assurance policy he had in his workplace?

Customer: I am not sure should I contact his employer or wait to see if they get in touch .should he receive something like a p60 or something.
Ben Jones :

Are you the executor of his estate?

Customer: Yes I am
Ben Jones :

Whilst you can wait for the employer to contact you over this, there is no point in relying on them so I suggest you contact them, advise them you are officially in charge of dealing with his estate and affairs and ask them for details of any entitlements he has under such life assurance policies that kick in in the event of his death. As to what the enmployer should do in terms of pay and taxes when an employee dies, this note explains it in further detail:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/employee/changes/death.htm

Customer: Ok thankyou
Ben Jones :

You are welcome, do you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Customer: Not at the moment but twelve month before he was ill they had to have a big medical for work so I am assuming it may have been an insurance policy.if I have to get back to you I will.
Ben Jones :

yes employers could have such a policy in place, I have one with my workplace sp certainly contact them to check - now that you are dealing with his estate they should provide you with that informaiton