Is Aniracetam illegal in the UK? I cannot find any black

Customer Question

Is Aniracetam illegal in the UK?

I cannot find any black & white information on this, all I can find is vague information about it being a prescription drug in 'Europe' , with the only information I can find on this being that it is a prescription drug in 2 European countries, one of the Spain.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Does it have any other names please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Draganon, Sarpul, Ampamet, Memodrin, Referan, 1-p-anisoyl-2-pyrrilidinone, Ro 13-5057, CAS 72432-10-1, 1(4-methoxybenzoyl)-2-pyrrolidinone

I will see what I can find in the Misuse of Drugs Act.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's most likely not a class a,b,c drug and is more likely to be a prescription drug. Piracetam is listed in the MHRA list A of substances but Aniracetam isn't mentioned at all in the site. You can't make one out of the other either

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any progress Jo?

I am sorry but I haven't been working on this because you relisted the question for others so I opted out to let them have sight of it.

I can probably do some work on it now ? Its not likely that I will find this within 15 mins though Im afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. Well I don't understand how this site works, it gave me the option so I clicked it. I paid for the urgent response or whatever it was.

Just a definite answer at some point please, thanks

I will see what I can find that there is some research involved in this.

This is certainly not a controlled substance under the misuse of drugs act.

The question is whether or not it needs authorisation for sale under the MHRA..

It's fair to say that this substance is on sale all over the place.

It is also clear that eBay have at least once removed listings because they are concerned that this drug needs authorisation. See here

However, my research suggests that it does not need authorisation. It is not a named drug. Unless it is named drug then it is not not covered. We have residual liberty in the UK which means that you are free to do anything that Parliament has not said you cannot do.

I do see your point that it is an ingredient in Piracetam but it is not the same thing. If it is not the same thing, and it is not separately named, then it cannot be covered.

It might well be one of those things that Parliament would have included but forgot.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So under no circumstances can I be arrested for attempting to supply Aniracetam in the UK?

What is the other country it is a prescription in EU other than Spain?

I wouldn't go so far as to say its impossible that you could be arrested. People are arrested sometimes for things that are not offences. I would say that my research suggests its not an offence.

I wouldn't know about the EU. I only practice in England and Wales.

If you propose supplying it then its probably worthwhile getting an opinion from a high street solicitor who has had full vision of the facts as I have not since your liberty is at risk.