13262538

police entered my home and changed the disposable nappies of

police entered my home and changed the disposable nappies of my two year old and 11 month old babies without my permission and in my absence is that acceptable or normal behaviour for policemen not women, I think it is unusual practice especially since they were aware that someone was on their way to look after them.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why did they do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I popped out to the atm and was stopped and arrested I informed them that I had just left children in bed sleeping and they asked me for my keys and carted me off to the police station where I was held for fifteen hours I asked them to call a member of my family to look after them while I was being processed which they did and my family informed them they was on their way all of this took place within an hour I was later informed that the policemen changed both my childrens disposable nappies to my horror especially since I had just changed them before putting them to sleep. I think this sort of behaviour is very suspicious as my little one has been crying in his sleep which they normally don't do since I returned home

Thanks. Thats all I need to know.

They arrested you for child cruelty offences on the basis of neglect because you left very young children alone in the house. I imagine that they are probably saying the fact that they needed a change suggests they were alone for a longer period of time.

The fact that somebody was on their way is no defence I'm afraid. Come what may, you can't leave very young children alone on the house even for a short time.

In relation to the officer changing them, I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but I'm not sure what is suspicious on that? I imagine that if they needed to be changed you would not want that to be delayed? Its certainly not unlawful per se.

Can i clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats not what I was arrested for I am sorry and your reply indicates that you re not sympathetic I am concerned because police act like they are a law unto themselves and I am more concerned about what took place were proper procedures followed etc I am not suggesting my actions were right but if the police were informed that a responsible adult was on the way why take it upon themselves to undress my children remove their pajamas and change their disposable nappies. if you cannot see my point then obviously you are not a parent or just plain apathetic or insensitive to my enquiry or worse.....

I am very sorry if I give that impression but I'm afraid that the facts you describe do not amount to a breach of PACE.

The police do misbehave sometimes of course but not in this particular circumstance. If the child needed changing then it seems reasonable that they changed them.
From a Child Protection Point of view you are at serious risk.
Whatever you were arrested for you left the children home alone which amounts to neglect - they are too young for this to happen and you can expect a contact from Social Services regarding this
To be blunt given that act of neglect the police were under a duty to ensure that there was no evidence of direct abuse and did so - actions which were well within their remit given the circumstances to be frank you were very lucky that they did not use an Emergency Protection Order to remove the children so rather than questioning their behaviour you should be grateful that they were experienced enough officers and fathers to give you the benefit of the doubt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

\The children did not need changing I just left them 10 minutes prior to my arrest

As I said they were looking for signs of abuse given the obvious neglect.
They could have taken far more draconian action and the children could have gone into Emergency care for the night.
Clearly the officers felt that despite what you had done the children were physically well cared for.
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password XXXXX you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.